Boston, Mass. – Senior Mandissa Marshall shattered the
school record in the pole vault, and the George Mason track and field team saw
several individuals and relays advance to the finals after day one of the
ECAC/IC4A Indoor Championships on Saturday on the campus of Boston University.
Marshall vaulted to 4.23m, shattering her previous school
record (4.10m) and also setting a meet record in the event.
The Patriots advanced individual competitors in the 60m
hurdles, 400m and the 4x400m relay. Shavon Briscoe tied her PR of 8.58 in the
60m hurdles during the semifinals, posting the seventh-fastest time to advance
to the finals. A trio of Patriots advanced to the finals of the 400m, including
Cierra McGee (54.68), Taylor Wheaton (54.77, PR) and Daianna Barron (54.85). The
4x400m relay of McGee, Jasmine Robinson, Barron and Dominique Graham ran the
second-fastest qualifying time, crossing the finish line in 3:40.83 to advance.
Starting the meet on Friday, Mason's Amanda Denger finished
sixth in the pentathlon with a personal-best 3,489 points. In the five events,
she ran 9.12 60m hurdles, jumped 1.57m in high jump, threw 10.95m in shot put, lept
4.99m in the long jump and posted a PR of 2:25.20 in the 800m.
In the events that held finals on Saturday, Bethany
Sachtleben posted a PR of 16:44.81 en route to a seventh-place finish in the
5000m, while Jasmine Moser placed fifth in the pole vault (3.85m) and Dominique
Graham finished 12th in the high jump (1.72m).
On the men's side, two individuals and two relays advanced
to the finals of their respective events on Sunday. George Empty set the tone
for the field in the 500m, running the fastest qualifying time of 1:02.26, just
.01 seconds off his PR. Adrian Vaughn ran the sixth-best time in the prelims of
the 200m, crossing the finish line in 21.25, a PR and fourth-fastest time in
The 4x400m relay of David Verburg, Vaughn, Angel Coburn and
Empty ran away from the competition, finishing almost a full second ahead of
second-place Boston University with a time of 3:10.82. The DMR also advanced to
the finals on Sunday, with Wil McReynolds, Cody Raphael, Tyler Golden and Alex
Ott crossing the line in a season-best time of 9:56.33.
Wrapping up competition today, Michael Lawton finished
eighth in the triple jump with a PR distance of 14.49m.
The Patriots wrap up competition at the ECAC/IC4A Indoor
Championships tomorrow morning.
7. Shavon Briscoe – 8.58 – Tied PR –
Semis – (8.64 – Prelims) – Advanced to finals
20. Aneesha Scott – 7.74 – Prelims – Did not advance
22. TaNay Chandler – 8.07 – Prelims -
Did not advance
27. Aneesha Scott – 25.23 – Did not advance
6. Cierra McGee – 54.68 – Advanced to semis
7. Taylor Wheaton – 54.77 – PR – 9th fastest in school history – Advanced
8. Daianna Barron – 54.85 – Advanced to semis
17. Heather Selheimer – 2:57.79 – Did not advance to finals
7. Bethany Sachtleben – 16:44.81 – PR -
4th fastest in school history
6. Amanda Denger – 3,498 pts. – PR – 9th best in school history
2. Cierra McGee, Jasmine Robinson, Daianna Barron, Dominique Graham – 3:40.83 –
Advanced to finals
1. Mandissa Marshall – 4.23m – PR, Meet Record, School Record
5. Jasmine Moser – 3.85m
12. Dominique Graham – 1.72m
18. Anthony Williams – 8.24 – Prelims – Did not advance
6. Adrian Vaughn – 21.25 – PR – Prelims – 4th fastest in school
history – Advanced to finals
35. DaQuan Smalls – 22.14 – Prelims – Did not advance
40. John Jones – 22.32 – Prelims – Did not advance
20. Angel Coburn – 48.78 – PR – Prelims – Did not advance
1. George Empty – 1:02.26 – Prelims – Advanced to finals
18. David Rushing – 2:29.74 – Prelims – Did not advance
1. David Verburg, Adrian Vaughn, Angel Coburn, George Empty – 3:10.82 –
Advanced to finals (almost full second ahead of second-place BU)
7. Wil McReynolds, Cody Raphael, Tyler Golden, Alex Ott – 9:56.33 – Season-best
– Advanced to finals
8. Michael Lawton – 14.49m - PR