No. 14 Old Dominion Edges Men's Soccer, 3-2
Bookmark and Share

No. 14 Old Dominion Edges Men's Soccer, 3-2

NORFOLK, Va. - George Mason sophomore Timi Mulgrew netted two goals in the second half but it was not enough as the men's soccer team fell to No. 14 Old Dominion, 3-2, on Friday evening at the ODU Soccer Complex.  

The Monarchs improved to 8-1 overall and 1-1 in the CAA after the nationally televised affair. Mason dropped to 7-2 overall and 1-1 in conference action.

ODU capitalized on an early set piece in the 14th minute. Tim Hopkinson took a short corner kick for the Monarchs, eventually feeding the ball to Jason Gaylor at the top of the box. Gaylor settled the ball and sent it in to the box, finding the head of Alex DeJohn to give ODU a 1-0 advantage.

The Mason offense kept a steady attack through the remainder of the half, seeing several shots sail just high of finding the back of the net. A shot by junior Julio Arjona in the 16th minute was Mason's best scoring opportunity, hitting the crossbar. In the closing minutes of the opening stanza, freshman Ghiles Harmouche's shot in the 35th minute and Mulgrew's attempt in the 39th minute drifted high, as the match remained in favor of the Monarchs, 1-0, going into the break. ODU held a slim 5-3 advantage in shots while corners were even at two apiece at the break.

The Patriots came out of the break with strong offensive play, but continued to see their opportunities go wide of the net, including a header by Hugh Roberts in the 55th minute. However, it was ODU finding the net first, as Yannick Smith scored on a breakaway off of a feed from Ryan Condotta to put the Monarchs up, 2-0, in the 57th minute.

Mason found its way back into the match in the 61st minute, cutting the ODU lead in half, 2-1. Mulgrew recorded his sixth goal of the season, heading a cross in from Arjona to find the back of the net and keep the Patriots alive.

The momentum quickly swung back to the Monarchs, as they extended their lead back to two goals, 3-1, in the 67th minute. Mason senior defender Chase Miller took down an ODU attacker in the box, giving the Monarchs a penalty kick. ODU's Jordan LeBlanc took the kick, making a quick motion to the ball to draw Mason keeper Dustin Butcher off of his line before stepping up and sending the ball over Butcher's head.

Mulgrew found the net with two seconds remaining off a helper from freshman Brice Colcombe, but the early deficit proved to be too much, as Mason dropped the 3-2 decision. 

For the match, shots were even at 10 apiece, while the Patriots owned a 7-4 advantage in corner kicks. Butcher played the duration for the Patriots, recording two saves. Francoz also played the entire match for ODU, stopping three shots.

Mason returns to action on Wednesday, hosting Hofstra in a CAA match at 7:00 p.m.

Print Friendly Version