The George Mason women's tennis team faced the top-ranked and defending NCAA Division II national champion Armstrong State at Bacon Park and dropped the match 5-0.
The Pirates swept the doubles matches to earn the first point of the match. The top team of Sydney Green and Brittany Pilkington lost to Armstrong States Lena Lutzeier and Diana Stomlega, 8-2. The Pirates Alejandra Cisneros and Carolina Prats-Millan beat Nicole Haigwood and Morgan Yang, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles, while the pair of Nicole Fossa Huergo and Lena Pacholski downed Jane Awad and Scarlett Walston, 8-2.
The Pirates then picked up two singles matches to clinch the match. Fossa Huergo blanked Pilkington, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 1 sinlges, while No. 4-ranked Lutzeier beat Green, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2 singles.
The Patriots will play in their final match of their Spring Break against Edinboro on Friday morning.
1. Fossa Huergo def. Brittany Pilkington, 6-0, 6-0,
2. Lutzeier def. Sydney Green (Mason), 6-3, 6-2,
1. Lena Lutzeier/Diana Stomlega def. Sydney Green and Brittany Pilkington (Mason), 8-2.
2. Alejandra Cisneros/Carolina Prats-Millan def. Nicole Haigwood and Morgan Yang (Mason), 8-3
3. Nicole Fossa Huergo/Lena Pacholski def. Jane Awad/Scarlett Walston (Mason), 8-2.