The Patriots scored a 6-1 win on the road today at Howard in Washington, DC. Mason improves to 6-9.
Mason clinched the doubles point with wins at one and two doubles. The Mason team of Tanner Baine
and Daniel Gutierez won first at No. 2, beating Howard's William Jones and Hawkins Owens 8-3, then Joe Hill
partnered with Nick Barker
to beat Ismael Kaouache and Myron Davis 8-7 (4) at No. 1 doubles. Mason won at No. 3 by default.
The Patriots swept five of the six singles matches with Nick Barker
starting things off beating Nico Sorrell 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5. Tanner Baine
followed with a 6-1, 6-3 win over the Bison's Myron Davis at No. 3, and Joe Hill
claimed the team win for Mason beating William Jones 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 2 position. Daniel Gutierrrez scored another point for the Patriots, beating Hawkins Owens 6-2, 6-4. The Patriots lone loss came at No. 1 singles. Aaron Capitel
dropped a close match to Ismael Kaouache 3-6, 7-5, (10-4). Mason won No. 6 singles by default.
“The wind was very strong out there today, but our guys handled it well, and kept their focus. It was a good win in less than ideal conditions” said coach Quam.
The Patriots travel to Philadelphia on Friday April 3 to take on A-10 opponent St. Josephs. Match time is 2:30 pm
1. Ismael Kaouache (Howard) def. Aaron Capitel (Mason) 3-6, 7-5 (10-4)
2. Joe Hill (Mason) def William Jones (Howard) 6-1, 6-4
4. Daniel Gutierrrz (Mason) def. Hawkins Owens (Howard) 6-2, 6-4
5. Nick Barker (Mason) def. Nico Sorrell (Howard) 6-0, 6-1
6. Wesley Wong (Mason) def. no player (Howard) by default
Order of finish: 5, 3, 2, 4, 1
1. Joe Hill/NIck Barker (Mason) def. Ismael Kaouache/Myron Davis (Howard) 8-7 (4)
3. Aaron Capitel/ Conor Moran def. no players (Howard) by default
Order of finish: 2, 1